Sunday, November 8, 2009

40 years of Sesame Street

Well Sesame Street turns 40 this week.
When I first graduated from college I worked at a place making costumes for the Sesame Street Live tours. I remember ten years ago celebrating 30 years of Sesame Street and 25(?) years of Sesame Street Live tours.
My time there was fun but I was so young. I remember when I first got the job out of college thinking that working with Sesame Street Live things was like a dream come true and I guess that for a while it was. But after a while it became a little mundane for me. I was also young and hadn't yet learned how to balance work and social life yet. I ended up quitting after two years when I came to the realization that I was making more money at my evening and weekend waitress job. After completing years of school and college I think I just wanted to have fun.
When I quit it was sort of sad for me. I had gotten a couple bad reviews at my annual review times. Partially I think it is because I wasn't properly trained in on the processes they wanted us to use and partially because I was having a lot of boyfriend drama that was leading to depression. When I left there I thought I would never work in theater again. I was sure that even if I wanted to the two years I spent there would haunt me.
That did not happen. After waiting tables for about 6 months I got slowly back into theater and realized that it was still a passion. I think that because of those two years I try to maintain a level of professionalism where I work. I always try to give my best because I feel so thankful that I was given a second chance at theater. When I'm having a bad day I just think about how lucky I am to be where I am.
So Happy Birthday Sesame Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment