Monday, August 3, 2009

The Dresser Diaries

Ok so people blog about everything right. People blog about cake and people blog about cooking. People blog about parenthood and pet ownership. Some even blog about work.
I've always thought my job was interesting. When books like The Nanny Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada I thought wouldn't it be cool to write about my job.
But I didn't. Why? Because while most people can relate to being a nanny not a lot of people can imagine what it is like to be a dresser at a theater.
That's what I do. I'm a dresser or if you want to be fancy I'm a wardrobe technician.
When you go and see a play and an actor goes off stage only to return seconds later in a completely different costume, that's me and my fellow wardrobians.
But I do more than that really. I pass out laundry. I do minor repairs or sometimes major repairs. I make sure my actors have water or tissues or Throat Coat Tea.
While theater goers are enjoying their dinner or just leaving for the show I am getting to work. After the audience has filed out and gotten in their cars I am bringing laundry to the laundry room to be cleaned for the next performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment